Saturday, August 22, 2009

The Nature Explorers Club

Pictures Courtesy of ForestWander.com


After writing my last post, and doing some thinking, I have decided that I would call our nature time "The Nature Explorers Club". Whenever I go out into nature with my kids, I tell them that we are going exploring. This is my desire for our weekly nature outings. I may gently lead us to learn specific things, but at the same time if my daughter sees something new and wants to explore it, then we do. Since we will now be sharing our adventure with friends far and near, you all can be a part of our club.

Each week I will post a short, toddler minded blurb about a specific nature topic. I will then include activities that relate. It is my desire to use nature as a means to teach other skills like math readiness, reading readiness as well as gross motor and fine motor skills.

While I will be following the framework from the book "Nature For the Very Young" by Marcia Bowden, I will also be adding in from my own experience as an Outdoor Education Instructor. You are welcome to follow in our footsteps (and learn from our mistakes) by using what I share here with your own children. I have a passion for teaching children about the wonders of nature and I just can't help myself from sharing it with others.

I have never done anything like this before, so please let me know if I could do things differently, making it easier for all of you on "the other side".

2 comments:

  1. I love the name! Your pictures are beautiful too! Gets me even more excited. *Ü*

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! I found your blog & the Nature Explorers Club from Michelle's Delightful Learning blog. I think this is a great idea! I can't wait to join in.

    I just printed out the first four posts: White Pine, Queen Anne's Lace, Flower to Seed and Oak Tree. While the weather is still nice, I think I'll try to fit in two or more explorations a week so that I'll be caught up shortly.

    Luckily our backyard has two huge pines and the front yard is a beautiful mass of Queen Anne's lace, so those explorations can be done any time we step out the door!

    ReplyDelete