This past weeks topic was Flower to seed. Unfortuantely our week was filled with rain, making the exploration of flowers and seeds very difficult. Luckily we had one nice afternoon and took advantage of it.
While indoors, we played with flower parts made out of felt,
And we made flowers out of pipe cleaners.
Once outside we dissected one of my daylillies
Esther REALLY enjoyed this. I no longer have any daylilies and my snapdragons are starting to disappear. Sigh...all in the name of science
We searched the whole yard finding as many flowers, and seed heads that we could find. Sadly they were all soaking wet and not usable for an art project. But she saw how the pistil would eventually be filled with seeds.
Finally, we went to the garden and found some flowers on the tomato plant and I explained how sometimes the pistil gets so big it turns into something that we can eat.
To show that the tomato was a pistil we opened it up and looked at the seeds inside. This lesson really stuck with her, because later when we were eating some dried figs, she excitedly exclaimed, "look mommy, there's seeds in here too!"
Even though our time outside was limited, this week was a success. We had fun, saw something never seen before and learned something new. I hope you had a fun week as well. I would love for you to share. Please feel free to leave a comment if you tried a different activity, or link up below if you wrote a post. The next topic will be posted shortly, see you next week!